I planted a big garden in the backyard this summer and spent a lot of time looking at the plants and marvelling in their forms and structure. At some point I began to wonder at the similarities between music, with its structure and form and plants. I thought of the plants as forms of energy, and wondering what kind of sound they would make if they were sound energy instead of biomass energy. I took lots of photos of different plants to study further but was not satisfied. I remembered a book of photos by Karl Blossfeldt on my bookshelf. Blossfeldt was a German sculpture professor who photographed plant forms with a home made camera. His photos have influenced many generations of artists since their publication in 1928.
Blossfeldt's images presented me with ideas for forms from which a sound could be generated solely as a result of the structure of the object.
Here is an image of one of the works in progress:

No comments:
Post a Comment